Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My Experience with the BoM


I have finally finished the BoM this last week! I am soooooo excited that I actually did it. I cannot tell you all how many times I have tried to read theBoM but could never get through it. I think that I have only gotten through it one other time and I was 12. The only thing that I remember about theBoM from that time was that Nephi was born of goodly parents. :~).

So, let me tell you how reading this and enjoying it all came about. My wonderful Mother-in-law sent me an email about the Hinckley Challenge soon after President Hinckley died. When I first read through the email I thought that that would be fun to do. I didn't look at it again for another 3 or 4 days. During those 3 or 4 days every time I walked into my bedroom or office my BoM would be staring me in the face. I started to feel a little guilty so I decided to give it a try. 

I haven't had much luck in the past with reading the BoM cover to cover so I was pretty sure that this would be the same thing. I usually get half way through 1st Nephi and then get distracted or can't understand what or who they are talking about. So, this time through the BoM I decided to pray even before I started to read. I asked Heavenly Father that I might be able to understand, enjoy, and learn things as I read the BoM. I asked that he would help me to finish it this time and that i might know for myself that this is the only true church. 

Well, as you can see, prays are answered. I have never enjoyed another book as much as the BoM. It was so cool to read it and understand who they were talking about and what was going on! While I was reading it I was amazed at the trials and tribulations that the people went through! I sometimes think that life is so hard and that I have it pretty bad, but as I read this, I was so grateful to those men and women for their sacrifice. Most lost husbands and children. They went without food and dealt with ragging wars. There was famine and disease in the land. They had to hunt for their food........... I am blessed. I have my family here with me. I have food on my table and shelter over my head. I have the wonderful ability to go to the store and get my meat already cut and ready for me to cook. I have the blessings of modern medicine. I have it very easy in comparison.

The thing that I am most grateful for is the peace that reading the BoM has brought into my life. My family has been through some trying times these last few months and I have felt great despair at times. It has been so nice to know that I can turn to the scriptures and to my Heavenly Father to find peace and comfort as well as direction. 

I know that by reading the scriptures and asking of God that he will answer your prayers. I know that this church is true and that our prophets have been guided by the hand of God. I know that Heavenly Father loves each of us and will answer our prayers if we will just ask. I want all of you to know that I love each of you and I feel blessed to have you all in my life! 

1 comment:

Elaine Barnett said...

I'm very proud of you girl! It was fun being able to talk about it while reading. Keep up the good work. Love Elaine